Sunday, March 22, 2009

P-funk keeps on Grooving

Your scribe funking out at the show.


George Clinton and crew continue to tour after almost 50 years of performing. I caught their latest show on February 28, 2009 at the Neighborhood Theatre in Charlotte. I have been a P-funk fan since I first heard Mothership Connection around 1976. I caught my first show in 1977 and have been to dozens of shows since then. What has always impressed me about these folks is their accessibility and humility and their truly enthusiastic interaction with their fans. A p-funk show is an event where you can leave behind normal reality for a few hours and simply indulge in sometimes mindless grooves punctuated by contrarian lyrics and massive musical arrangements. This show featured five guitarists on stage during most of the show. I was impressed as usual by Michael Hampton, who despite having a few rum and cokes was able to do an unusually fast paced version of Maggot Brain (after he figured out how to plug in his guitar). Especially notable were keyboard player Danny Bedrosian and the young drummer whose name I did not get. And of course there was the always affable personality of George himself. Go see these guys when you have a chance. They tour relentlessly so look for them in your town. Check out my youtube for some vids from the show: http://youtube.com/nosyfieldstone and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvs3G80Y8jo (Red Hot Mama).

No comments:

Post a Comment